Friday, November 7, 2008

Oniomania

So we all have bad habits, some can definitely be worse than others. I definitely have a bad habit of shopping!!!! It's like I get this itch and it doesn't get scratched until I drop a couple hundred bucks at the mall. So it all started on Monday that I got this horrible itch, after I got home from babysitting my cute little cousin, Emma.

 
When I got home the first thing I did was get the mail. Side note: I love getting the mail, I wish people still wrote letters, because that would be even more fun. Anyway I got a coupon from Famous Footwear for $15 off my next purchase. I guess I had spent enough to rack up enough points, that I know got money off my next purchase. So began the itch. I immediately jumped on the internet to see what I needed. 

(Tuesday)
The next day I went to the mall to take a real look at the shoes, because the internet only gives you somewhat of an idea what they look like. While I was there I found these cute hats. I wanted three of them, but I limited myself to two. 

Quilted Bear had some way cute Halloween stuff on sale. 
I was good though and did not buy anything. The thing about Quilted Bear is there stuff is sooo cute, but when I start looking at it, I realize "I could make that". Anthony met up with me after he got off work and we headed over to Ross. If you haven't been to Ross in awhile I highly recommend it. The place has been cleaned up a lot. I found the cutest mirror there that would match perfectly in my living room, maybe I could get that for Christmas. Anthony ended up buying a belt and he bought me a new purse with a matching wallet.  


(Wednesday)
So after all of that my itch still was not scratched. The next day I was at the mall shoe shopping again, but we all know after I purchased a couple of pairs of shoes that it could not stop there. 
product.asp.jpg
I started wandering the mall, just looking of course. While I was looking, and spending, I got a call from my favorite store. They had called to tell me that they got a new shipment of jeans in my size in. Anthony happened to call when I was there and told me I could only spend $50. So I found enough things to make it $60, oops. Sneakily I put just $50 of the bill on our joint account and then the rest on my account. It was so funny, Anthony was looking at our finances on the computer, and he said wow you really took that $50 to heart. He still doesn't know, so I tell you all in confidence that you won't spill the beans. So my itch did get scratched for the most part, there was these shoes I wanted, but they only had a 7.5 or a 9 and I need a 8. Its to bad too, because they would have matched my new hat I bought perfectly. 

Maybe this is more than a bad habit. Maybe I have a sickness. I found this on google Oniomania.Oniomania is another word for the urge to shop till you drop, habit of the debit, thrill of the bill. According to a pearl of ancient wisdom, we don't acquire things, things acquire us. In the case of oniomaniacs, it is perhaps the fun of acquiring things that acquires them.

Anyway whatever I have I promise it is under control. I only get my itch when Anthony gets paid :) and I have learned that as long as I pay my tithing I do not want as much, its like a anti itch cream. If anyone has this problem you should let me know. We could form some kind of support group. Actually that is a horrible plan. If someone called me and said, "hey I am at the mall and there is a sale at so and so" I would not be able to say don't buy, the words that would probably come out of my mouth would be "really, I'll be right there".



2 comments:

Zanny said...

Oh my gosh, you are so funny! You may be a spender, but you're still cute. Even more so now with your new shoes!

Craig and Aly said...

Ha Ha! You crack me up!!! Whats your favorite store and where did you spend $60?